Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was released on 1 June 1967 in the United Kingdom. "Sgt. Pepper" is often described as The Beatles' magnum opus, and recognized as one of the most influential albums of all time by prominent critics and publications. It was ranked the greatest album of all time by Rolling Stone in 2003.
"You've never really heard Sgt Pepper until you've heard it in mono." - Sir George Martin, Beatles' record producer and arranger.
Please, read the following information regarding the sonic differences found between a MONO vs. STEREO copies of Sgt. Pepper:
· The funky backwards guitar part at the end of the opening song just before "Billy Shears."
· The flangey/ADT effect on Ringo's voice during some chorus of "With A Little Help From My Friends."
· The tripped out flangey vocals from the second verse out on "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds."
· The slightly longer end of "Fixing A Hole" where McCartney is wailing up high.
· The change in tone in "She's leaving home" in the mono version - due to being sped up, not so dreary and long as in the stereo version.
· The timing on the effects of "Mr. Kite."
· The extended louder laughter on "Within You Without You."
· The louder backing "oo-oo's" on "When I'm 64".
· The "bleed edit" found at the beginning of the "Sgt. Pepper Reprise"; you can hear the machine flutter as it comes out of pause.
· The low volume mumbo jumbo during the extended bass drum raps at the beginning of the "Sgt. Pepper Reprise".
· The timing of the audiences are different on the "Reprise" section.
· Paul McCartney ad libbing at the end. Paul sound like he is saying "Thank you very much good night now..." or "bye bye now".
Now, judge yourselves...
01- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
02- With A Little Help From My Friends
03- Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
04- Getting Better
05- Fixing A Hole
06- She's Leaving Home
07- Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!
08- Within You Without You
09- When I'm Sixty-Four
10- Lovely Rita
11- Good Morning Good Morning
12- Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
13- A Day In The Life